"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

i just remember it had me all excited? {day 2}

every single morning at the beach, 
except the last morning, 
maxine gave us the wonderful pleasure of seeing the ocean at 5am.
do you want to know what the ocean looks like at 5am?
dark.
it looks really dark:)
in fact, you can't really see anything until about 6:15am,
and then things start to get really beautiful around 6:45am.
this is what i learned about mornings on the beach.
also, paddle boarding time on the ocean is anytime between 6am and 7am.
by 7am, it's surfing time.
it reminded me a lot of high school and watching the surfers get out there 
before school in the morning.
BEHOLD,
I GIVE YOU....
the birthday boy!
birthday festivities 
went as follows:
birthday boy slept in, you're welcome sean
conference scones and raspberry butter were prepared and served for 19. have you ever tried to watch conference with 10 kids? yeah, we gave up halfway into the first talk. 
{sean and i listened to the saturday session in the car all the way home to utah. holey moley, i haven't gotten that much out of conference since before brennan was born, i kid you not.}
surprise paddle board rented for the birthday boy
getting out past three breaks and some massive waves was achieved
big hats and 4 bottles of spray sunscreen were worn
sand was firmly established in all crevasses of all gibsons 
{i am even still finding it in my left ear, and we've been home for almost a week--it's awesome.}
candles blown out and cake was had 
{i was SO PROUD that i got a picture with ALL of the kids in it. that is until my brother in law told me i was missing chase. mmm hmmm. dang.}

{above: i took about 93 shots of this with his pail just like this standing here. 
i wanted to EAT him he was so cute.}
i can't even tell you the kind of waves he had to fight to get out there this day because obviously this picture looks like a walk in the park, also, it's zoomed in so it doesn't show how far out he had to get, BUT i will say that he had a beach full of strangers and family, with their mouths and jaws dropped to the ground when he finally succeeded at getting himself, the board, and a paddle out into the ocean blue. it was pretty freaking fantastic to watch, let me tell you. he told me later he could hear me screaming and cheering for him. cheerleader voice, oh yeah.
{above: my super fine ocean paddle boarder returns from his sea adventures. someone pointed out something SUPER funny about the picture on the right...i just can't remember what is was...i just remember it had me all excited? hahahahahahaha.....sorry dad.} 
happy happy sean sean.
i'm so glad you were born:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Emily, this is so cute. How can I get started blogging? I really think I'd be good at it.

Susan Anderson said...

This looks like so much fun! And wasn't it a good conference, by the way? I especially loved the Saturday morning talks.

=)

Amy said...

My friend recently told me growing up they would always take a trip on Conference Saturday. 2 hours there, play for 2 hours, 2 hours back. It wasn't until she was an adult that she figured out it was the best way to listen to conference. I am thinking I am going to have to try it. Sneaky!
I love reading your posts. They just make me smile through and through.